Setup email account in Microsoft Outlook 2013/2016
Added: 12.10.2015 15:47:55 Last updated: 11.11.2016 09:29:54
This guide explains how to create an email account in Microsoft Outlook 2013 or Microsoft Outlook 2016. We assume that you have installed Microsoft Outlook 2013 or Microsoft Outlook 2016 on your PC and that you have not set up any email accounts previously.
We recommend that the email account be set up using IMAP instead of POP3, so that the emails will remain on our server instead of being deleted when they are downloaded. For this reason, this guide will show how to create the email account using IMAP.
To set up email in Outlook 2013/Outlook 2016, you must use the values supplied below. Exchange these values with the values valid for your email account with PRO ISP. In this example, we used firstname.lastname@example.org as the email address with a specified password.
For the inbound and outbound email server, you should use cpanelX.proisp.no as the server name if you are using SSL (recommended). The X should then be exchanged for the number of the PRO ISP server on which the email account is configured. If you do not use SSL, you can also use mail.dittdomene.net, where dittdomene.net must then be exchanged for the domain for which you wish to configure the email account in Outlook 2013/Outlook 2016.
Select "File" as shown in the image below.
Select "Add account"
- Type in the name of the account user. This name will be visible as the sender of email sent from this account.
- Type in the full email address.
- Type in the corresponding password twice.
- Click "Next"
Outlook will attempt to find the correct configuration for the account based on the address, user name and password. To do this, Outlook must be granted the permission to do so; this is done as shown below.
- Tick "Do not ask me about this website again", so you will not receive warnings about this several times.
- Press "Allow"
- If Outlook was able to find the configuration automatically, you will receive the notification shown here.
- If Outlook was not able to find the correct configuration and you receive error messages, tick "Change account settings".
- Press "Next" (if Outlook found the settings, press "Finish", and the account is ready for use)
If Outlook is not able to find the correct settings automatically, you must specify them. We assume that you have ticked the selection from step 2 and step 5 and pressed "Next".
- Type in the name of the user of the account.
- Type in the email address you wish to add.
- Specify the inbound and outbound mail servers. You should have received this information when your ordered the web hosting solution from us.
- Type in the user name and the corresponding password. The user name will always be the full email address.
- Press "More settings"
- Navigate to the "Outbound mail server" tab
- Tick the option "Outbound mail server (SMTP) requires authentication"
- Navigate to the "Advanced" tab
- Specify the correct port number for inbound email. See the top of this guide for the details of the ports used
- Specify the correct port number for outbound email.
- Choose what type of encryption to use. We recommend always using SSL whenever possible.
- Press "OK" and "Finish" on the next page.
- You should now see a confirmation that Outlook has logged in to the inbound server and sent a test email.
- Press "Close".
The account is now ready for use, and there should be one or more test emails in the inbox sent by Outlook.