Install Zen Cart
Added: 10.03.2014 23:26:29 Last updated: 12.01.2017 11:11:26
We recommend that you install Zen Cart automatically from our control panel. Follow the guide here.
This guide details how to proceed to install the online store Zen Cart on our web hosting accounts. Be aware that you can also install Zen Cart via Fantastico.
When you ordered you received an email about the web hosting account you created with us. In the window below we have listed relevant information for the web hosting account we are using in this example, as well as other relevant information.
Step 1 - Download Zen Cart:
Go to Zen Cart's website at https://www.zen-cart.com and download the latest version.
Step 2 - Unpack the archive:
The file you downloaded is an archive that contains all of Zen Cart. Unpack this locally on the computer you are using.
Step 3 - Upload Zen Cart at the web hosting account:
Zen Cart can be uploaded in several ways. This guide details the simplest way - via FTP. If you are unsure how to set up an FTP client, you should have a look at our guide for this in the guide section on our website.
In our example we will install Zen Cart on the address http://dittdomene.no/. When you log in via FTP you must go to the folder public_html. Files that are put in the folder public_html will be accessible on the address http://dittdomene.no/. If you cannot find the folder public_html you have most likely specified in your FTP client that it should start in that folder.
Upload all files and folder from your local computer (from the folder you unpacked in) to the web hosting accound. Be aware that this may take a while since there are many files being uploaded.
Step 4 - Configure PHP settings for Zen Cart:
To meet the requirements of Zen Cart, we must overrule the standard setup for PHP for our web hosting account. This can be done by configuring the php.ini file for the folders we want to overrule.
Open a simple text editor you have access to, for example Notepad in Windows. Add the following:
Save this file with name php and file type .ini (php.ini). This file should be uploaded to the following folders on your web hosting account:
Step 5 - Create database:
To use Zen Cart you must have a database. Follow the guide Create MySQL database in cPanel to create the database with associated database user. During the creating we specify "db" as database name and "user" as database user in this guide. This will give database name and database username like given in the top of this guide (all databasen names and database usernames get the web hosting account's username as prefix).
Step 6 - Browser installation:
Go to the address http://dittdomene.no/zt_install/ in your browser. You will automatically see the installation guide for Zen Cart.
Step 7 - Welcome to Zen Cart
Zen Cart welcomes you.
- Read through the information from Zen Cart.
- Click on "Continue" to move on.
Step 8 - Approve the terms for Zen Cart
- Read through the terms for use of Zen Cart.
- Mark that you approve the terms for use of Zen Cart.
- Click on "Continue" to move on.
Step 9 - Check that the requirements for Zen Cart are filled
- Look through and see that Zen Cart is not reporting mistakes in the setup before the installation can continue. All points in the list should shine green. Should there be mistakes in the setup, can changes be madevia php.ini, see step 4.
- KClick on "Install" to continue the installation process.
Step 10 - Database Server
- Choose "UTF-8" for Database Character Set
- Database Host should be "localhost".
- Specify the database's username, which in this case is: dittdome_bruker
- Specify the database user's password, if you set one when you created the database.
- Specify the database's name, which in this case is: dittdome_db
- Click "Save Database Settings" to move on to the next step in the installation process.
Step 11 - System settings
- Check that the physical path where Zen Cart is being installed is correct.
- Check that the virtual path, URL, for the Zen Cart installation is correct.
- Check that the https domain is correct. Zen Cart will normally collect the correct information for this field if you are unsure.
- Check that the https server URL is correct. Zen Cart will normally collect the correct information for this field if you are unsure.
- If you do not use SSL, choose No for Enable SSL
- If you do not use SSL, choose No for Enable SSL in Admin Area
- Click "Save System Settings" to move on to the next step in the installation process.
Step 12 - Online store settings
- Type the name you want for the online store in the field "Store Name".
- Type the name of the owner of the online store in the field "Store Owner".
- Skriv inn epostadressen til eieren av nettbutikken in the field "Store Owner Email".
- Choose which country the online store is located in from the dropdown menu for "Store Country".
- Choose nearest zone for your online store from the dropdown menu for "Store Zone".
- Type the address for the online store in the field "Store Address".
- Choose standard language for the online store in the field "Store Language".
- Choose standard currency for the online store in the field "Store Currency".
- Choose whether you want to install demo categories and products for your online store.
- Click "Save Store Settings" to move on to the next step.
Step 13 - Administrator settings
- Type a username you want for administrator login for the online store.
- Type an optional password for the administrator login.
- Confirm the password.
- Type the email address of the online store's administrator.
- Mark if you want Zen Cart to automatically check for updates when administrator logs in.
- Click "Save Admin Settings" to move on to the next step.
Step 14: Zen Cart installed
- For security reasons we will make a couple of operations on the Zen Cart installation. This is further detailed in step 15.
- Click on "Click here to go to store" to go to the newly installed online store.
- Click on "Click here to open the Admin area" to log in to the administrator interface for the online store.
Step 15: Change the rights of configure.php
For security reasons we should switch to only reading rights for the following files of the Zen Cart installation:
Step 1: File Manager from cPanel
Log in to cPanel for the specific web hosting account where Zen Cart has been installed, and click on the icon for "File Manager" as shown in the screenshot below:
Step 2: Change /include/configure.php
Double click on the folder /include to see the contents of this folder.
- Click on "Perms" for the file configure.php.
- Type "0444" for reading and writing terms for the files configure.php. This change will only put reading rights on that specific file.
- Click "OK" to save the change.
Step 3: Change /include/admin/configure.php
Repeat step 2 for the file /include/admin/configure.php
Step 4: Delete the folder /zc_install
Delete the folder /zc_install da installasjonen nå er fullført. Denne mappen utgjør en sikkerhetsrisiko og må derfor slettes.
Step 5: Change the name of the folder /admin
The folder /admin must be changed to something different for security reasons.
We have now been through how to install Zen Cart on your web hosting account. You can now see your website on the URL you installed it on, and administer the website via the administrator interface. In our example the URL for the two is as shown in the window below: