Added: 10.03.2014 23:26:29 Last updated: 08.02.2017 13:08:13
We recommend to install Wordpress automatically from our control panel. Follow the guide here.
This guide details how to proceed to install WordPress 4.3.1 on our web hosting accounts. Be aware that you can also install WordPress via Softaculous which is available on your web hosting account.
When you ordered you received an email about the web hosting account you created with us. In the window below we have listed relevant information for the web hosting account we are using in this example, as well as other relevant information:
Step 1 - Download WordPress:
Go to Wordpress' website https://www.wordpress.org and download the latest version of WordPress (per today 4.7.2). Wordpress can be downloaded in several langues, and in this guide we will download and install the English (US) versions from Wordpress.org.
Step 2 - Unpack the archive:
The file you downloaded is an archive that contains all of WordPress. Unpack this locally on the computer you are using.
Step 3 - Create database:
To use WordPress you must have a database. Follow the guide Create MySQL database in cPanel to create a database with associated database user. During the creation we will set "wp01" as database name and "wp01" as database user in this guide. That gives the database name and user like listed at the top of this guide (all database names and database users get the web hosting account's username as prefix).
Step 4 - Visit your URL:
- Change the name of the file "wp-config-sample.php" to "wp-config.php" in the folder where you unpacked WordPress (wordpress).
- Open the file (in Wordpad or similar text edit program) and change the lines for database connection.
It's important to note that everything marked with red above must be switched out with what you have set up under Step 3.
Step 5 - Upload WordPress on your web hosting account:
WordPress can be uploaded in several ways. This guide details the simplest way - via FTP. If you are unsure how to set up an FTP client, you should have a look at our guide for this in the guide section on our websites.
In our example we will install Wordpress on the address http://dittdomene.net/wordpress. When you log in via FTP you must go to the folder public_html/wordpress. Files put in the folder public_html/wordpress will be accessible on the address http://dittdomene.net/wordpress. If you can't find the folder public_html you have most likely specified in your FTP client that it should start in that folder.
Upload all files and folder from your local computer from the folder wordpress to your web hosting account.
Step 6 - Browser installation:
Go to the address http://dittdomene.net/wordpress in your web browser. You will automatically see the first page of the installation guide.
- Specify desired title for your blog.
- Specify desired username for the administrator user. It is recommended to use something other than "admin", "administrator" and similar names.
- Specify desired password for administrator. The password should consist of both lower and upper case letters, numbers and special characters. Wordpress will give you feedback on how secure the password you have chosen is. It is recommended to use passwords that are "Strong".
- Specify your email address.
- Tick off for whether you want your blog to be indexed by Google and other search engines or not. This is recommended if the page should be visible online.
- Click on "Install WordPress".
The installation is done and you will be sent to the window below.
To log on you type the username and password specified in Step 6, point 2 and 3.
Now, when you access the URL you installed WordPress on (http://exampledomain.org/wordpress, you will see the new installation.
We have now been through how to install WordPress 4.7.2 on your web hosting account. You can now see your blog via the URL you installed on, and administer the blog via the administrator interface. In our example the URLs are like shown below: